Sunday 3 April 2016

The Post-Research Life

The words, "finish research" have been in my head whenever I thought of my to-do's for the last 5 years. And now it is finally done.

Since finishing I've spent time celebrating this momentous achievement (for me at least) with my family. I've also started swimming again to get the old blood flowing again and thinking a lot about what comes next. The last is a luxury I am savouring with all my being.

One of the things I really want to do is write. Through writing I think I'll be able to plan and process all the thoughts and ideas that have been desperate to get out for so long. I have a few posts that I plan to write over the coming weeks. One of them is called "What to do when you want to do everything?" (you'll see why by the end of this post). I'm hoping that through writing I'll be able to process and order the longer-term visions I have and unpack some of their contradictions.

I wanted to list some of the other things I've been thinking about to keep track of them and make room in my head for new thoughts. They include:

  • further study - economics, math, public administration, muslims in Joburg, islam and hip-hop, islam and city planning and traditional islamic studies all seem to be vying for the top spots
  • AwethuArt website
  • past AwethuArt event write-ups
  • AwethuArt events - storytelling session in Fordsburg, another poetry evening, bloggers' event, film screening, graffiti day and something musical perhaps
  • reconnecting with friends and the city
  • blog about the difficulties experienced while researching and the things I learnt about myself and academia by pushing (and being pushed) to finish
  • blog about the findings of my research in a way that's more accessible than a 150-page document
  • organise regular dhikr evenings through which I can hopefully learn the Gadat
  • make some shirts
  • teach English again - either through Wits Language School or set up something for migrants in Yeoville/Mayfair
  • start to breakdance again or build the strength and flexibility I need for that
  • hip-hop appreciation get togethers
  • group discussions on masculinity - possibly with the Amadoda group

AwethuArt is on my thoughts quite a lot and the future of it is something that really excites me. I want to meet people and discuss the future of AwethuArt. I learn best by sharing thoughts and hearing the thoughts of others. If you have thoughts on the project and would like to grab a coffee and chat about please do let me know, the coffee will be on me.

I think I want to learn a little bit about graphic design and websites. The AwethuArt website might be my practice project for this but I may just decide that this needs to be outsourced. Likewise with recording and editing video from AwethuArt events.

All-in-all I'm quite excited for the post-research life. And if you're reading this I'm glad you're part of the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment