Saturday 12 May 2012

Met Ball ja, Met Ball

That was a terrible joke, I know.  I just couldn’t help myself. I also found it difficult this year, like I do each year, to restrain myself from the indulging in the fashion and glamour that is the Met Ball. I tweeted about this excitement, and to my surprise, very few people knew what I was on about and this made me feel like a snooty, pop culture elite - not a good look. Basically, the Met Ball is an annual invite-only gala event (unless you have $150 000 for a table) that celebrates the opening of the Metropolitan Museum’s fashion exhibition at the Costume Institute. It’s held in New York city, hosted by Vogue magazine, and is, in a nutshell, very la-dee-daa.  
Besides all this boring stuff, the Met Ball is a major fashion event, and celebrities know they have to tighten their shit up and bring their A games, because the reason for having this ball (the fashion exhibition inside) is vastly overshadowed by the fashion and the glamour of those attending (outside on the red carpet). I’m not at all complaining about this double standard!  All kinds of the best celebrities are invited under the pretence of art, but what I looove about this is the shameless and complete focus on fashion at its best, brightest and boldest, as opposed to a focus on winning awards or being well mannered, polite celebrities. This the epitome of Hollywood parties, and thankfully GREAT fashion is guaranteed mostly because guests are hand-picked by Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour. Thus, there will be no Kardashians or E entertainment TV hosts invited, only the crème of the Hollywood crop, showing off as best they can, of course. Here’s what I thought of zee fashion.

BEST DRESSED
Karolina Kurkova

Model Karolina Kurova in Rachel Zoe (yes, the stylist) was my best dressed of the night. I mean look at this!!! It’s sleek, cool, different. I LOVE that this look focuses on elegance and fashion modernity, rather than on her hot bod.  Someone dip me in rose gold, now! She’s flawless and timeless in this dress. She wins!

Emma Stone

How cute is Emma Stone in Lanvin? She demands attention in this fun, youthful cocktail dress, amongst a sea of exaggerated and sexy-sexy gowns. She looks fresh and effortless thanks to her minimalist make up and easy-going hair. A breathe of fresh air on the red carpet.

Carey Mulligan
Gold. Sequin. Reflective. Armour. Prada. Never seen anything like it before! She was one of the cool kids of the night in this dress. It’s so original, industrial and yet elegant. And the woman did not need a stitch of jewellery! It works!

Rooney Mara

This Givenchy creation of lace and leather cannot be pulled off by just anyone. To me, she is the ultimate cool girl in terms of couture. She always looks like a bad-ass, high fashion, ethereal, goth princess! She brings a new feel to the world of red carpet fashion, a sort of ode to early Angelina Jolie red carpet fashion.

Lana Del Rey
Lana! This old soul captivates me not only through her music, but her classic beauty as well. This look is so bold, and once again I’m impressed with this choice, because she opted for this Red Riding hood, super hero-esque look, instead of being the hot, sexy newcomer, which she could have easily done. She looks as though she is from another time! Kudos on that dark crimson lip too - she looks savage and beautiful.


THE USUAL HOTTIES
Rihanna 

 

Scarlett Johannson
  
Giselle Bundchen


Jessica Alba

 Camilla Belle

They all look really hot in their couture gowns! It’s not a bad thing at all, it’s just not that interesting to talk about, you know?

THE KIND-OF-HOT-MESSES
Nina Dobrev
I don’t hate this Donna Karan dress at all, I hate the fabric!  It’s like modern tie-dye in black and silver! I mean, why! This is the Met Ball! U must hall uit and wys! This dress is too average and typical for someone as beautiful and fresh as Nina Dobrev!

Sarah Jessica Parker

Honestly, this makes me giggle. Hard. Mostly because SJP has this Cinderella vibe about her in this picture, but this dress is so redonk.  She definitely lent it from her fairy god mother. Or nana. Or wallpaper. And I can’t handle the matching shoes!!!!!!! See! I’m laughing again!

Kristen Stewart

Nope, this isn’t working for K-Stew. But I don’t blame her. She probably just blindly wore whatever her stylist handed to her, she doesn’t seem to care much for fashion, an attitude I secretly adore. This dress however, is such a hot mess of different fabrics sewn together. Also, weird-reminds-of-school-shoes shoes.

Leighton Meester
Beautiful dress, Beautiful girl. Minus the tan and the lack of spanx.

THE I'M-STILL-ON-THE-FENCE
Beyonce
Look, I love me some B. And I love this dress. At first look, this is the showstopper dress of the night! But then I look closer at this beautiful Givenchy dress and I notice that the nude body suit is a little to light for Beyonce’s complexion. And then I cant stop looking at this oddly coloured undergarment! Its stands out like when you notice white girl foundation on a not white face.The whole thing makes you feel embarrassed for the person. This dress is amazing....but not flawless.Lesson: Even if you are that gorgeous, attention to detail should not be taken for granted.

So, what do you think about all this?



2 comments:

  1. I think all of these celebs need to be more cautious of the super dark shade lipstick, it didn't work in any of these (except maybe Camilla Belle), it simply is not a this-could-work-with-anything kinda lipstick.. Too much of silly dresses for me, but nice commenting. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaynesss!congrats on the blog! I think that the stream of cre`me de la cre`me at the Met Ball need to realize that spanks are a girls best friend as long as it's not that horrible granny panty colour (that's directed at you Beoncey!) and and and i think that many of them fall sort from shining because they are dressed by designers who don't specifically take the celebs personallity at heed when designing a garment and that is why the image of many of the celebs and what they are wearing particulalarly to the MET are in contrast juxtaposition... Just SAyin

    ReplyDelete