Wednesday 23 May 2012

Dirty Pop and Me: Let me explain.

I’ve always had a strange affinity to pop music, ever since I was a little kid. This is probably because growing up I was surrounded an eclectic mix of my family’s musical tastes, which included The Beatles, Crosby Stills and Nash, Barbara Streisand and even Tupac (Shout out to my big brother). Everyone in my family was so enraptured in their own music tastes, and I was lost somewhere in these musical interactions, enjoying but never belonging.
That is of course until I saw Britney’s Baby, One More Time video and my pop identity was born. I decided then and there that this was a culture I would be a part of and belong to and this, unashamedly, taught me how to be confident and also began my now endless love affair with music. This pop identity and my musical tastes have of course changed (I hope), even though my Master’s dissertation ended up being on pop music and Lady Gaga (Its COOL. Read here ---> http://wiredspace.wits.ac.za/handle/10539/11374).

Point is, ALL of this, has now made me  become keenly critical of pop culture and pop music. It just comes so naturally. I watch music videos, listen to pop music, watch tours, keep up to date with news, all the while, not indulging but analysing and becoming aware of the meanings communicated.
This brings me to some recent observations I'd love to blog about, if you'd indulge me... Everything is not as it seems. Watch this space. (Well not this exact space, probably a space above this).

I know, right!

4 comments:

  1. love this post it eminently portrays my music metamorphosis learning first from what i mostly correlated with and because of the union between my soul, the music and the insight education and life has afforded me I now see deeper into music than the bubble gum exterior that i first learned to love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh wait is that an S Club 7 cd i see? ooohh hehe eh!lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. A WHOPPING 10/10 Nafs!!
    U like the Genie in a bottle, waiting to be rubbed up the right way.. The blog was ur explosion to the world!!!
    POP GOES THE WEEEAAAASSSSLLLEEE!!!

    talk about nostalgia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. there aint no party like an s club party! hey! ho! :)

    ReplyDelete